March 1, 2011

Money, it's a gas. Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash.

Today, I'm trying out Top Two Tuesday on The Undomestic Momma. The topic is "Top Two Things You've Learned About Money."

My dad is a banker, so he's been trying to instill good money management skills since I was little. Unfortunately, some of them took a little longer to take hold lol But these two are the ones I keep at the forefront of my mind (and bank statement :-)

1. "Wanting" is not the same as "Needing"

When I was in high school, I worked but didn't have many expenses so I was able to shop a lot more than I probably needed to. I always talked about things I wanted, but used the verb "need" (i.e. I need those new high heels, I need a new mini skirt). They were all totally things I didn't need at all! As I've grown up, I've begun to learn the difference. I *need* to get my oil changed, but I *want* to buy new earrings. Big difference haha

2. Saving doesn't have to severly impact my income

I've worked at jobs with direct deposit before, but at my current job, I am able to have money divided into multiple accounts. I have most of it go in to my checking, but I also have $5 per check go directly into savings. It doesn't seem like a lot, but it does add up (I also have "Keep the Change" at my bank so when I use my debit, it rounds up and send the difference to my savings account). The money is only for emergencies, but it's nice to know I have a cushion if I need it. I also have money put directly into a 401(k) account. In the few years I've had it, it's really grown. And even though I can't really touch it right now, it definitely alleviates stress when I think about the future.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...