July 14, 2011

Come to my window, crawl inside, wait by the light of the moon.

Moving out of my parents, yet still living in the same city has some definite advantages for both sides. For me, I get home cooked meals whenever I want, a place to sleep if I'm out late and happen to be closer to their house than mine, and, since they live closer to the gym than I do, a place to shower because public showers are just....ew.

For them, they get to enjoy the perks of me working a bakery (I'm pretty sure they haven't bought a loaf of bread in almost 3 years), they get to hang out with me (which is the best part, I'm sure) and, since my brother often drives my mom's car, I am available to play chauffeur.

My morning routine involves going to the gym, then heading to my parents to use the aforementioned shower and then going to work. And with the role of chauffeur, a few times a week I drop my mom off at work. They let me use their shower and I drive my mom to work-it's a great trade off.

One particular morning, we were leaving for work and as soon as the door closed, I realized I had left my keys, both car and house, inside the (now locked) house.

"Oh, shoot. My keys are in there. Do you have your house key?"

"Um....no.... Your brother has my keys."

We stared at each other in horror for a good 30 seconds. Since it was the middle of summer, we had closed all of the windows and turned on the air conditioner. Neither of us had a garage door opener. Our neighbors that have a copy of our house key were on vacation.

Basically, we were screwed.

We walked around the house, double checking all the windows, when we came to my parents bathroom. There is a small window, farther off the ground than the rest. We noticed that the window was open just a crack, but with the window being 8 or 9 feet off the ground and my mom being the taller of the two of us, coming in at 5'3", we were at a loss for how to use this to our advantage.

After trying a couple different options (think cheerleaders trying to throw the flyer), I finally climbed onto my mother's shoulders and was able to lift the window a little farther. I hoisted myself through the window and lowered myself to the ground. After breathing a sigh of relief, I ran around the house, grabbed my keys and double checked that my house keys were in fact on the ring, locking the door and finally going to work.

After that experience, I can honestly say I never lock, or even just close the door, without being absolutely, positively certain, my keys are on the same side of the door as me.

In response to Mama Kat's World Famous Writer's Workshop: Prompt #1-Write about a time you had to crawl through a window. (inspired by Barb from Half Past Kissin’ Time)

Mama’s Losin’ It

7 comments:

Tiff said...

I always do a triple check..baby, keys and cell phone. I figure if I have those three, I am always in the clear! :)

Unknown said...

I am here from Mama Kat's and this was cute! I can just see you and your mom trying to figure out how to get in that window! :) Very fun post!

Kelly Krewson said...

I suppose I should be thankful we have to use the key to lock our door once we are on the outside. I thought it was a pain but after reading this, its a good thing!!

Vapid Vixen said...

I hate that moment of panic as soon as you realize what you've just done. Ugh!

Katie said...

Haha-- hilarious! I've locked myself out of my house twice. Thank goodness my parents only live 15 minutes away and were very accommodating and brought my spare key. Lol.

May said...

I know that sinking feeling when you first realize what you have just done. Who says cheerleading does not offer life skills?! lol

Jackie said...

Ugh, there's been a few times I've locked myself out. But, my windows would be too high to climb to. Usually my husband is home asleep when it happens, and there's no waking him up for anything.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...