November 13, 2010

'Cause only in the movies can you replay every scene until it comes out clean.

I'm usually not too big a fan of movies.

For most of my life, I couldn't sit still long enough to watch a full length movie. I usually got distracted, or started day dreaming, or more often than not, fell asleep. It happened at home, at friends, even in the theater. It was bad. But the past few years, I've gotten over my movie ADD and started to enjoy movies a lot more.

The past few weeks I've seen some really good ones that I thought I'd post about.

First up:
City of God.

I saw this one the night before Halloween at the EMU Student Center Foreign Film Night. Leto convinced a Hannah and I to go see it. It's in Portuguese, with subtitles. It's about drugs and gangs in the slums of Brazil. It was way intense-lots of guns, and drugs, and blood. But really, really good. It could have ended up being a typical "redemption story" (boy grows up poor, experiences drugs/violence/etc, moves past it and becomes successful) but the cinematography was really great, as was the acting, so luckily, that set it apart from other films.

Secondly:
Due Date.
Zach Galifinakis is effing hilarious. I was late seeing the Hangover, but after I saw it I (along with the rest of the country) just fell in love with him. He's so odd, and his humor is kind of out there, but it works for him (probably because that's the roles he keeps getting cast in, but whatever). So him along with Robert Downey Jr, who is definitely having a career revival at the moment, were a pretty good pair. It was your average "cross country buddy movie" but I swear I didn't stop laughing the entire time.

Last but not least:
RED.

My mother and brother convinced me to see this. I wasn't that into it when I saw the previews. Action and action/comedy just usually isn't my genre. But mom was paying so I couldn't really say no :-) Luckily, I ended up liking it. It wasn't anything too spectacular-the action was exciting enough, the comedy was funny for the most part. Morgan Freeman pretty played his usual "wise old black man" and Bruce Willis did his best "action hero." John Malkovich was decidedly creepy, which isn't anything new but he was a close second to the best part of the movie. Miss Helen Mirren. I just love her-she's just so fierce. And pretty. And funny.

Oh, Mary Louise Parker was in the movie too. But I can't look at her without thinking of Nancy Botwin and Weeds. Blah.

At the moment, I'm having a study party and am almost all studied out. I mean, there's more to study, of course, I just don't know if I can do it! haha Hence, the procrastinating by writing this :-)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...